15. December 2007 08:07
Well I have really neglected my blog over the last 1.5 years! I originally decided to write my own blog software just because I could. Well the fact that I became very busy the first thing to be neglected was this blog. So I decided to final start changing that by moving to a blog solution with more features than I had but also allow for me to customize it when I wanted to. In addition to what my current solution already had I wanted the following:
- Track back
- External API for using Windows Live Writer or some other thick client blog authoring software.
- The ability to insert pictures or files right into the post
- The ability to apply themes
- Open source
So I choose BlogEngine.NET because it had all the current features my solution already had (which wasn't a big list) and many more.
6. July 2006 22:44
Added the ability for the blogger to receive emails when a new comment is posted to a blog entry.
Added the ability to contact me by email via a contact form.
24. June 2006 13:28
I added a feature to allow for user comments. I used a CAPTCHA technique to keep the spam down to a minimum. Spam was always a problem in my .Text blog.
23. June 2006 18:25
Added some blog statistics on the home page. Currently I am only tracking the number of blog, comment and trackback entries. Later I might add more statistics or allow the numbers to be constrained by some start and end date so I can see numbers for a specific time frame.
23. June 2006 15:31
I added in the ability for my site to receive track back pings. The pings get logged into a database table. I only allow one trackback per Url and Blog Unique Id. I also added the ability to only allow trackbacks if the Url is really referencing the blog identifier it is attempting to ping. This should hold down spam some. I still need to do the following around trackbacks:
- Add in the ability for this site to ping other sites.
- Add the ability to remove trackbacks in the admin pages
- List trackbacks on the Blog Detail page
- Add the ability to show a count of all trackbacks
8. June 2006 02:39
I went ahead and added a single RSS feed to my site. I ended up using the RSS Toolkit that can be found on Dmitryr's blog. It was very easy to get the tool kit to publish RSS. I need to bounce the RSS XML format against the 2.0 specifications to be sure I am emitting decent RSS.
I had one problem with the control that comes with the tool kit. I attempted to create multiple channels based on the Blog Catagories that I have defined in case someone would want to subscribe to only a specific catagory. However when I placed this control in a repeater whenever a post back occurs I get an error stating this "is not a valid virtual path". I suspect it has something to do with the control when it is trying to append the ChannelName to the query string. For now I just removed the subcatagory RSS feeds.
7. June 2006 03:33
Well I decided to move my blog off of .Text and onto a custom blog application that I am writting from scratch. I didn't really have any problems with .Text but I wanted to create some new features and I did not have the source. So as it stands right now I have limited blogging features in my custom solution. I was able to migrate my data out of .Text and into the new schema without much issue. I have some old links to the old blog that will have to be changed.
I will be slowly adding the following features:
- RSS Feeds - Done 6/4/2006
- Ability to add comments
- Blog search
- Support for blogging API so that I can add blog entries from a smart client application
- Submit blog entry by email
- Ability to create blog entries but delay the publishing of the entries - Done 6/10/2006